Monday, August 27, 2012

Bom dia! É um novo dia!

"I shall pass through this world but once.  Any good therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now.  Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Mahatma Gandhi

It was mid-July and I quickly realized, the Summer was half over. How could this be? Another year gone and went. Sure, we did some camping, there were some running races... but something was missing. Not to mention, I had an itch to get out of Chicago. For a couple years now, I have filled out applications to teach abroad, only to use the excuse that it is too expensive, I just started this new job, I have school, my mom's birthday is coming up, there might be a snowstorm... excuses.

So inevitably that idea came back to me this July, when I felt unfulfilled, lazy and an inkling that I knew there was more I could do in the world.

After some research, a couple applications, Mike and I decided to team up with IVHQ. It is a fantastic, thorough, affordable program, that places over 4,000 students/twenty-somethings a year, into a choice of over 20 countries to volunteer in various programs. We decided on Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. It is the second largest city in Brazil and is the most visited city in the southern hemisphere. It is known for the remarkable beaches and gorgeous mountains that take shape right in the middle of a lively city. Yet, there is still a large population of underprivileged children who have no where to go and are ultimately directed towards a life of crime, drug use and violence. That is where we come in.

Mike and I were hoping to and luckily were placed to work with the Children's Sports Program for IVHQ in Rio. It is a phenomenal opportunity, that I feel I have been waiting my whole life for. I believe in the service of others, you learn the most about yourself. Whether it is a volunteer abroad program, local soup kitchen, tutoring a child or just helping out a friend, giving back is the greatest gift of all.

Hopefully, this blog will be a great way for us to share our stories with you and keep you posted on all the adventures. Until next time, Tchau!

1 comment: