Friday, September 21, 2012

Dropping Off Supplies for the Children - End of Futebol Project

Yesterday was a sad day, we had to say goodbye to all of our friends at project.  Mike and I wanted to do all we could to help improve the project in anyway we possibly could.  With funds that Mike and I have saved up, we were able to bring the children brand new futebols, several pairs of soccer socks, a new ping pong set, adidas headbands, stickers, stamps and much more.  Since yesterday was our last day, we made it our supplies drop off day.  As Carlao (the head coach) told the morning and afternoon group that we were leaving, their heads dropped and they stomped their feet.  Some pretended to cry.   Each one came over to us and said, "Obrigado," (thank you), while giving us a handshake and a tight hug. I was not expecting it.  One said to me, "I love you." As the futebol games were on their way, one of the boys yelled, "Mikey, Mikey!" And, as Mike watched, he took his penalty kick the same way Mike takes his... and then ran over to Mike to tell him a secret, in Portuguese he said, "that was for you."

They had not even seen what we had brought them yet, and they were already so sad to see us go.  As I came back from filling my water bottle in the afternoon, I turned and saw all the children surrounding Mike, hugging him.  It was such a sad/happy moment, that brought tears to my eyes.  The children in this Favela, live in houses that are comparable to huts. Their streets smell of feces.  We heard gun shots a few different times at project (very close) and saw police helicopters swoop down close with machine guns hanging out of the doors.  This area is not safe and these children live in conditions that I never knew existed.  Maybe I knew, but you don't actually know, until you see it.  Some children wore the same clothes everyday.  I'm sure some did not eat, you could tell when I brought cookies, some were so hungry.  At times, it is heartbreaking and you wish/want to do everything you can to give them a better life.  To be there for them. But, with these children, it was not about what we could buy them or bring, it was about the quality time we could spend with them.  Making them laugh, playing silly games, laughing when we fell or missed the ball, singing Brazilian songs, dancing, and just letting them know they had someone that was excited to see them.

Lovin the Stickers


Boys giving Mike the Neymar



Morning Crew

Afternoon Group









I walk away incredibly blessed and grateful to have met these children.  The happiness they have brought me is, 10 x's what I could give them.  I wish I could stay forever and help every single day.  I feel a contribution to the world, to Brasil, to the favela, to a child.  Brandi Snyder said, "To the world you may just be one person, but to one person you may be the world." Remember that.

In the words of Richard Bach, "Here is the test to find whether your mission on earth is finished. If you're alive, it isn't."
Still alive, let this just be the beginning of our mission...
Sunset from the house yesterday

No comments:

Post a Comment